US President Donald Trump on Saturday said the United States and Iran were “getting a lot closer” to finalising an agreement to end the war, adding that he would likely decide by Sunday whether to resume military action against Tehran.
Speaking to CBS News, Trump said a final agreement would prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon and ensure that Iran’s enriched uranium would be “satisfactorily handled.” He added that he would only sign a deal that fully met US demands.
“I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want,” Trump said during the interview.
According to the reports, the latest proposal includes a process to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, the unfreezing of some Iranian assets held in foreign banks, and the continuation of negotiations between the two sides.
Trump told Axios that he would meet US negotiators Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner later on Saturday to discuss Iran’s latest response. Vice President JD Vance is also expected to attend the meeting.
Pakistani Field Marshal Asim Munir, who has been mediating between the two sides, left Tehran on Saturday after meeting senior Iranian officials and attempting to push the deal forward. Pakistan later said there was “encouraging progress toward a final understanding,” although the agreement was not finalised.
Iran, the United States and mediator Pakistan all said on Saturday that progress had been made in talks aimed at ending nearly three months of conflict.
Trump also said he would review the latest Iranian draft agreement with advisers on Saturday before deciding whether to resume the war.
“Either we reach a good deal or I’ll blow them to a thousand hells,” Trump told Axios.
The US president has repeatedly shifted between diplomacy and the threat of military action since a ceasefire was declared six weeks ago to allow negotiations over Iran’s nuclear programme and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil and gas shipping route controlled by Tehran.
Trump told CBS News that negotiations were improving “every day,” but declined to share details of the proposed agreement.
“I can’t tell you before I tell them, right?” he said.
Sources told CBS News that Trump is still considering multiple proposals and has not made a final decision. Officials said he continues to consult advisers and speak with foreign leaders, including leaders from Saudi Arabia and other Gulf countries.
Three sources told CBS News that Trump is scheduled to hold phone calls on Saturday afternoon with leaders of Gulf countries and other nations to discuss the Iran negotiations. One regional official said several leaders remain uncertain about which option Trump is likely to choose.
Trump warned that failure to reach an agreement could trigger severe consequences for Iran.
“If the US and Iran do not come to an agreement, we’re going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they’re about to be hit,” he said.
Trump had earlier warned that “a whole civilization will die” without a deal and recently said that “the Clock is Ticking” for Iran.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio also signalled possible developments in the negotiations later on Saturday.
“There’s been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done,” Rubio said ahead of a formal dinner at the US Embassy in New Delhi. “There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say, but this issue needs to be solved, as the president said, one way or another.”
Source: India Today